Ricotta and zucchini pikelets with smoked salmon
• 1 cup (150g) white spelt flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
• 1/2 cup (120g) smooth ricotta cheese, plus 2 tbs extra to serve
• 1 zucchini (about 160g), finely grated,
squeezed of excess moisture
• 1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
• 90g salt-reduced smoked salmon, chopped
• 2 tbs chopped fresh chives, plus extra to serve
• Finely grated lemon zest, lemon wedges and dill to serve
1. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add eggs, milk and ricotta and whisk until smooth. Stir through the zucchini, lemon zest and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Spray a large non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of mixture into the pan per pickelet and spread to an even thickness. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and repeat to make 10 pikelets, spraying with a little more oil between batches.
3. Using a 7cm diameter heart-shaped cookie cutter, carefully cut a heart shape from each pikelet. Top pikelets with a dollop of extra ricotta, smoked salmon, dill, fresh lemon and lemon zest to serve.
4 (Makes 12)